What You Need:
Empty toilet tissue rolls or small paper cups for molds.
1 cup Plaster of Paris
3/4 cup Water
Medium Sized Bowl
Powdered Tempera Paint
- Mix together Plaster of Paris and water. Add color to your mixture using powdered tempera paint.
- Blend well and let stand for a few minutes. Pour your mixture into the molds you chose.
- Set aside and let dry completely. Drying time can take from several hours to a few days depending on the size of the mold you chose. Once dry you can remove your chalk from the mold.
- Set it aside to dry for approximately 24 hours more.
- Take your chalk outside and create fun masterpieces!
- Powdered tempera paint is available in most large craft stores.
- Experiment with making swirled colors by adding the paint and stirring very little.
- Occupational therapy tip:
- To build arm and hand strength, have your child draw on a vertical surface, such as a chalkboard or block wall (anything that is easily washable with soap and water for cleanup).
- Physical therapy tip:
- Draw a four-square game and work on ball skills. Click here for four square rules.
- Draw hopscotch and work on jumping, hopping and one-legged balance.
- Click here for hopscotch rules.
- Have child move (do a squat walk or step from side to side while drawing).