- 1 piece each red and black felt or fabric scraps
- Craft Glue
- 2 white pompoms (3/4” to 1”)
- 2 googly eyes (1/4” to 1/2″)
- 1 empty cheese container with red lid
- Assorted small items such as beads, small bug toys, erasers.
Instructions for assembling:
1) Glue two pompoms to the top of the cheese shaker across from the spoon side of the lid. Glue one googly eye on top of each pompom.
2) Have the child cut small circles out of black felt; or, depending upon the child’s level of development, have him/her trace circles onto the material and cut them out.
3) Cut a piece of red felt into a rectangle and round the edges on one long side (Lady bug felt template). Glue the black circles onto the red rectangle.
4) Cut a black rectangle (according to the template) and glue it 1 ½ inches from the bottom of the cheese container with the center heading up toward the back of the “head.” Glue it in place. When dry, wrap the red felt around the cheese container. Wrap it so that the seam meets on top of the black felt in the middle of the “body.”
Suggestions for use:
- Have the child grasp the tweezers between the thumb and pointer finger and use them to pick up small items and “feed” the ladybug.
- Have the child practice color/shape matching by picking out items of the same color or shape, dropping items into bug’s mouth.
- Draw a series of shapes on a paper and have child follow the series, picking out items according to the series to feed the bug.
- Arrange a random sequence of colored blocks, cups, or other small items and have child pick out colored pieces, according to the sequence of blocks and drop them into the mouth.